AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Castrating Lambs Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 12/7/2016 07:39 (#5681653 - in reply to #5680473)
Subject: RE: Castrating Lambs Question

south east Indiana
For me shearing really only pays if you are able to sell the wool to hand spinners who pay nicely for clean long wool. I think the 'real' advantages are the ones I listed. As far as the pelt - again that varies with markets. Some places you will get a premium over other fats.

My experience with ones that get knocked down is that they are weak and SICK. Start with a temp, I have better luck with Baytril, also do banamine. Then always deworm. I would check eyelid color and see if he is anemic. I am guessing he is. IF so he needs more nutrition, more protein. You can try nutridrench and alfalfa hay. I would say it is either parasites or pneumonia along with poor nutrition. If he is not eating it most likely will not end well. I would also dose him individually for coccidia if he does not look lots better in a day or two. Some just never bounce back, I think it is due to not a good start - on a ewe that is not milking enough ect. I have save some like that over the years but they never amount to much and likely I loose money on them with all the TLC but I always try.

I do not find valbazen is especially effective although it is my choice for tapeworms. Really depends on what the protocol has been in their flock. Recently I go for the big guns and drench with Prohibit which is Levamosole.

Since you are feeding and they are going to slaughter you do not have to concerned about building immunity to dewormer in the flock. Worm cycles are about every 3 weeks so two rounds of dewormer and dry lotting I would think you would be set.

Lambs can have a steep learning curve, hope they go well for you. Spend some time watching for little subtle signs of problems and treat right away. Go Very slow with the grain and make sure everyone has space to eat and clean water
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)