AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finally got an inch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 12/6/2016 12:06 (#5679916 - in reply to #5679768)
Subject: RE: Finally got an inch

N FLA
In my opinion, the main things are year around calving, and low grass quality.

The cow is a pretty sustainable animal when matched to seasonal forage quantity and quality. You guys that have winter tend to cull based on the season. In the SE they tend to calve year round. Often raising a calf on very low quality/off season forage. What happens is you can't afford to supplement the entire herd for the 25% of the herd that is out of cycle. The southern cattlemen likes to sort a few calves off at a time every couple months. It is just a cultural/economic thing.

The other thing is good soil grows good forage grows good cows. And our soil is terrible. Low OM, low water holding capacity, low fertility, acidic. We just have deficient grass.

Another thing, I'm sure over grazing and poor management are factors. Parasites could be an issue too. Alot of these cows aren't easy to catc so probably are not wormed often.

I have taken the approach there is nothing wrong with these culls but poor management, and seems to be correct about 95% of the time. The system with oats rye, and ryegrass is the exception here, and I try to load it with cattle with very high nutritional requirements.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)