AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

REA availability charge
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 12/1/2016 00:03 (#5668121 - in reply to #5667096)
Subject: RE: REA availability charge

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
No, electricity is still cheaper. Just because it is the cheapest option doesn't mean we can't complain... ;)

Diesel pumps are common around here, but they are portable and usually used for row crop farms. I rented some ground out for row crops this year, and each of the tenants brought their own pump. They need to be able to run 80 acres at a time, and that takes 2-300 hp. I have 100 hp of electric pumps there, but it is just easier if they use their own, since mine aren't big enough anyway. It's a situation where you'd need to double the size of everything, for a rotation that is only once every 10 years.

I also have a relift we seldom use. I'm going to replace it with a diesel. Only needed it on years where surface water was curtailed, and we had to pump groundwater. Or, if the canals are mossed up bad, I'm at the end of the ditch so its helpful to be able to pump more water into it. But I doubt I'll use it 50 hours in a year. Right now I haven't been using it at all because I don't want to pay the demand charges.

I keep hearing that natural gas is by far the cheapest. The two Trans-Canada lines, a 42" and a 36", go right by us. Less than a mile. But the chances of being able to tap into it are somewhere between none and never.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)