AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 4440 if you had to do it over again ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

classic 4010
Posted 11/18/2016 21:41 (#5643922 - in reply to #5643441)
Subject: RE: John Deere 4440 if you had to do it over again ?

western iowa
I had a 4440 PS years ago that was a great tractor. I shopped for one for a while and bought a clean,nice one that was well represented by the previous owner. A few years later the transmission started slipping in 8th gear pulling wagons on the road. A pretty costly repair at the time for me. Had it repaired at a JD dealership. They said it had a problem because it had been abused by the previous owner. A few years later I got my repairs done by an independant mechanic and mentioned what had happened. He said BS on what JD had told me. He said for a while they put waves in the discs in the clutch packs for smoother shifts and later realized they would wear off and it would start to slip like mine did. Other than that it was a good tractor except the large jump in speed from 7th to 8th . . . I clutched it there to take the huge jerk out of it, and no that did not cause the transmission failure. Traded it on a 4450 with the 15 speed PS. Huge improvement! Later I owned another 4440 QR as my planter/sprayer tractor. That one seemed to be better than the first. Quadranges aren't bad at all once you get used to them. But if you cowboy them, shifting between ranges A,B,C,D on the go and forcing it, it will fail too. But I think generally they are more dependable. The Powershifts need the hydraulic oil changed more often, in my opinion, to live a long life.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)