AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Long horn-whats their point?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

KDK Herefords
Posted 10/21/2016 07:59 (#5592689 - in reply to #5592137)
Subject: RE: Long horn-whats their point?

East Central, IA
I used to raise a small herd separately from my regular cattle. I don't have them any more, because they can be a pain, but they have their place. They throw a small calf, in case you want to cross them on heifers. I sold some calves for roping stock. Those cows would rather eat brush than good grass sometimes. They marble really well, but they aren't economical to finish on a large scale due to efficiencies and time. With regard to their horn size, even the ones with the big show horns know exactly where the tip is and how to use it to their advantage. I have a shoulder mount in my office of one I raised . I'll see if I can find a pic to share...

Edit: add pics.
First pic is the last remaining cow from that herd. This pic was taken right before I sold her a couple years ago. I sold her because she came up open after 15 years. Crossed on an angus bull she always laid down a solid black calf every year. Second pic is the only one I could find quick if the trophy steer I raised. I have better pics that I'll dig up later. He was 13 when I sent him to the locker. He got to the point where he would tip over hay rings, open gates, fight the bull every year when I turned him in, and generally be a PITA. It was time for him to go. His shoulder mount is hanging in my office.

Edited by KDK Herefords 10/21/2016 08:10

(IMG956108.jpg)

(IMG959233.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG956108.jpg (174KB - 107 downloads)
Attachments IMG959233.jpg (63KB - 117 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)