AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not machinery Motorcycle guys--Harleys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 1/4/2009 10:20 (#556883 - in reply to #556858)
Subject: Re: Not machinery Motorcycle guys--Harleys

Thumb of Michigan
Miles are low and price is probabley in line. Evo's are a very good motor generally speaking. Biggest issue I had with mine was base gaskets. Better ones available now. Good that you know history of the bike.

Heres the bad- and I don't want any hate e-mails or name calling on this- but the earlier softails usually have lower miles. For good reason. They can be a vibrating SOB. You'll probably not notice it much running for parts or cruising around on Sunday afternoon. With that said, I've never owned a softail. Tried to take some trips with some guys that did own early ones. The first 200 miles goes good, but the next 200 gets pretty miserable. Now, after saying that, I know someone will jump in and tell me they've been coast to coast with an Evo softail 36 times and never had a bit of problem. Thats OK by me. First HD I ever rode was a Panhead Hardtail that a buddy had driven to hell and back with. No problem then- he's not willing to do that anymore now that advanced age has crept up on him. He likes his bagger real well now a days for those sort of trips.

The 2000 and newer softails are a whole different deal. TC B motors are as smooth as glass, regardless of model.

If you want to stay with an American built bike, its going to be real hard to find one for less money than 5 or 6 K in my opinion. Especially when you know the owner.

Whatever you do, make sure you take a rider safety course.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)