AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My oldest boy is skipping school tomorrow, during harvest...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

billw
Posted 9/23/2016 08:21 (#5544316 - in reply to #5543810)
Subject: RE: My oldest boy is skipping school tomorrow, during harvest...

E. Kansas
If your son is interested, definitely have him run the combine. He will want to learn and do a good job. When harvest conditions are good (crop standing, dry, etc), that's the perfect time to get him started. He'll probably get plenty of chances to deal with less favorable harvest conditions if he runs the combine long enough.

I suggest you review all of your safety rules he must know and promise to follow. Be sure he has a phone so he can call you if needed, but I would not allow him to be on the phone for anything else. Stress to him that he must devote his full attention to running the combine and remain safe.

Tell him you're leaving the field, but you be sure to stay within close enough distance to get there quickly if he might have serious problems develop. Also tell him you'll be back in a couple hours, and then you run the combine for a round or two, just to verify everything is running ok, then hand it back to him and you leave the field again. Review with him to listen and watch for all the things you're checking for when you're back running the combine.

Missing a Friday afternoon of school during harvest won't hurt him. Lots of times it is pep rallies, etc. at school since it's a football game that evening. You want him to be a kid and do things with his friends, and he will get to. But a few afternoons during harvest won't hurt him. He will be learning so many life-long skills running the combine, as well as self-discipline and taking on a big responsibility.

I would also be sure he gets to grease and completely service the combine on his own, under your close watch. No doubt he will do that as good as an adult once he knows what all is needed, same with running the combine.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)