AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

buffer strips in Minnesota
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 5/23/2016 17:36 (#5316496 - in reply to #5316413)
Subject: RE: buffer strips in Minnesota

Glenwood, Mn

Our local SW maps are more extensive that what is listed on the ARC GIS viewer link you provided. So I would NOT use that as the standard.  As always,  It's not a horrible idea to stop in and check.

I was told the CRP signup was for this year only for the buffers.  Next year there will be no CRP signup planned and you are on your own for establishing the buffer and you will not receive payment.  I see that going over "real well".  I have heard a lot of rumors on what the fines will be, some upwards of $1k.  That being said, our local SWCD said they aren't in the business in enforcing.  Originally, the DNR was in charge of enforcing it and you know dang well they would have loved to write those fines out.  For the time being, I hardly see our local SWCD out there fining people.  It will/may change but that's what I was told.

All in all I see this program as a disaster.  I can see guys planting grass and letting it grow up into trees.  Neighbor across the road already has 30 feet of willows along the drainage ditch that goes through the property.  I will look exactly like that on some guy's farms.

I will say it does seem like there is some negotiation with the buffer width.  I do have a meeting with our local SWCD office for a field visit.  It sounds like some of our ditch banks that are back sloped can be less than the required buffer because there isn't a chance of over topping them.  Wow, some common sense!

Edit:

Apparently today is know formally "Beyonce Day".  I thought it was a joke at first.  http://www.startribune.com/gov-dayton-declares-beyonce-day-in-minnesota/380556231/  I guess it's better he's making stupid holidays vs. taking more of your land away from production.

The governor declared May 23 "Beyoncé Day," highlighting the singer's influence on "many young girls and women with powerful, positive messages in her songs."

Edited by Joe@RFDG 5/23/2016 17:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)