AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3rd crop in corn belt
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

emtbd1979
Posted 4/4/2016 11:08 (#5220827 - in reply to #5220814)
Subject: RE: 3rd crop in corn belt

west central illinois
hillclimber - 4/4/2016 10:00

This area has seen the dairy herds disappear rapidly in the last decade. The highly erodible land that was once pasture and hay now churns out corn and beans
adding to the supply problem and diminishing top soil in search of higher yields.
These lower prices are now forcing a lot of soul searching. CRP and livestock are being considered again.
At 57, I am not going back to milking cows. However, I have a couple peers that are doing just that this month. (Their wives are in shock) Cow/calf operation might be feasible.
Growing hemp might take a few acres off the corn/bean chart. I think the Canadians do it.
We have a few neighbors that have started growing hops for the beer industry. It is a fledgling market but offers hope for additional income off the land.
Another neighbor started nursery selling trees and shrubs.
A retired dairy man up the road is raising fish on a small scale.
All I know is that praying for a drought some where else is not going to pay the bills.
nope it sure isn't and nether is the thought base of I'll plant what looses the least money. A guy has to diversify and there are so many options it comes down to what a man has the know how to do and possibly the time and equipment to do it. Having friends in Wisconsin and New York that milk that doesn't seem to profitable right now either but I'm no dairy man. Isn't a dairy herd in 60 miles around here.

Edited by emtbd1979 4/4/2016 11:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)