AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Too Big of a Hill to Climb?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

DairyTom
Posted 3/20/2016 08:29 (#5187770)
Subject: Too Big of a Hill to Climb?

My dream has been to own / operate an organic dairy farm and I found an opportunity but question if it is possible. I'm 31 years old and always envisioned a 40-50 cow farm on 150 acres thinking it would be manageable but I also questioned the profitability at the same time. I don't come from a farm family but have dairy farm experience. The opportunity I have found is much larger - 150 milkers and 1100 acres. The couple is 71 years old and doesn't have family to pass the farm on to and they don't want to sell the land to the next door BTO freestall farm as they would rather see the farm continue on as it is. They have two kids who are not interested and I have been told they already received an inheritance and will not get any part of the farm. My question is if it is possible to start buying into this farm at the late stage in this couples life. They seem willing to do what it takes to pass the farm on to someone who will continue working it and believe it can happen with me even though I am coming in without my own cows or equipment, just cash. It is a profitable operation and 900 acres are contiguous around the barns with the remaining land a few miles away. It seems like a golden opportunity for the long run with the possibility to expand or sell extra forage. My biggest fear is getting going and buying the cows and then they pass away and the farm could be sold out under me or I would not be able to buy it if that situation arises. Any thoughts on this opportunity and any ideas on how to draw something like this up to protect myself?

Edited by DairyTom 3/20/2016 08:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)