AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

(HELP) Cow that went nuts after birth.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Macttle
Posted 3/13/2016 15:04 (#5173609 - in reply to #5173411)
Subject: RE: (HELP) Cow that went nuts after birth.

Good whining is for kids - the yellow crap the calf is covered in isn't poop - some kind of reaction in uterine if he's been in to long(reaction his poop had with uterine fluid or something) - vet said the term and I don't recall - this was a friends heifer I was just helping him last week - says usually they are dead when it's like that - which this one was - lucky he is alive..
To your question - of course that is a good trait, didn't realize it needs a answer it's pretty well common sense - I calve starting 21 March and it keeps getting pushed farther back - probably April 1 next year, don't see many born but the ones I do don't usually have vigor problems.
My point is, (I fully don't believe it's the law of the land) calf prices will go down - work on getting cost down - a lot of time and fuel is used checking cattle, that is a cost I can control - lots of people check cows every day - I'm working towards a 7 day schedule in summer (main issues is water - installing old oilfield saltwater tanks that are 7100 gallons this summer to help with how often I have to check) last summer ponds and creeks were full so once a week water check and put out salt worked fine
Winter is every 3 day due to protein source I was using - I'd like to get it in the 4-5 range
I like a cow to work for me - I value my labor to much I guess..

Edited by Macttle 3/13/2016 15:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)