AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Don't have to insure pasture & hay w/row crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

robheyen
Posted 11/14/2008 08:19 (#506153 - in reply to #506089)
Subject: Re: Don't have to insure pasture & hay w/row crop

You don't need to insure pasture, but if you mechanically harvest (bale), it must be insured for SURE eligibility. Also, you must insure pasture to be eligible for some of the other livestock/forage disaster programs, such as LFP .

Following is an excerpt of a message I received from one company underwriter:

SURE requirements: The following change was apparently in the technical corrections bill to the Farm Bill, however I don't find that an RMA bulletin has been released yet so folks are just hearing about this thru the grapevine & thru their FSA offices.
We found out that Grazingland is NO LONGER a requirement for the SURE program thru FSA. Hayland IS required to be covered 100% if you receive 10% or more economic benefit from it.

FSA has a Livestock Forage Program (LFP) which covers insured grazingland and it IS a requirement for LFP - - whatever they insure thru crop insurance is what is covered for LFP so if they want 100% of their grazingland covered thru the FSA LFP program they should cover 100% grazingland thru crop insurance. This can be achieved by signing up for PRF OR NAP.

NAP can be used where a product is not offered at CAT level, and PRF does not offer a CAT level so NAP thru FSA could be elected. However they cannot have both PRF & NAP on the same type (grazingland) - it's one or the other.

Another thing you might want to consider, the new PRF (Pasture Rangeland Forage) insurance is a simple, inexpensive way to cover you pasture. In MO, it measures rainfall in a 12 X 12 mile square area, and pays indemnities when rainfall is short. This coverage is inexpensive, and since it is a GRP (group risk) coverage, involves no production records, no inspections or audits, and will pay back more over time than you spend, due to large government subsidy.

If you'd like, email me directly, and I'll send an example of how this coverage would have paid over the last 19 years for a "grid" (12X12 mile area) in your county. Email: [email protected]

Good luck,

Rob

Edited by robheyen 11/14/2008 08:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)