AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ethanol and the corn and cattle markets
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

emtbd1979
Posted 12/18/2015 09:23 (#4969066 - in reply to #4969037)
Subject: RE: ethanol and the corn and cattle markets

west central illinois
Douglas - 12/18/2015 08:07

"Let's not forget the payout for 2012 that guys made a killing off of"

Say what? I missed that one, whatever it was.

My cattle operation benefits from higher grains prices actually, it is what i a betting on.  But i have principles i believe in and don't change them based on what is good for me. 

high prices are gone. They have left livestock also from over production. Now we get to see who plays the game 5 years from now and who doesn't.

But corn guys benefit either way, higher prices good, lower prices revenue guarantees and insurance and subsidies still good.  

you could have been paid for hay prices in 2012 had you filled out the paperwork. Quite substantial.

The thing is. In today's world you have to make it tough for the big guys like Tyson and cargill. High prices keep them in check. We have seen how well they love low grain prices. Principals or not if you think you will survive any better on cheap corn or grain you're fooling yourself. I'm just not sure if intervention in cattle will be as easy as hogs and poultry was.

As far as the crop insurance. That game doesn't work with cheap grain either. But yes it does need overhauled I won't argue that point. It has caused us to keep farmers that shouldn't be here. But it saved me after the weather in 08 09 10 11 12 13.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)