AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is school worthless?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 9/30/2015 01:33 (#4815973 - in reply to #4812017)
Subject: RE: Is school worthless?

Since the original post was about high school and below, my response is in regards to that.

High school is extremely important. If your teachers push you and you push yourself, you can learn enough in high school to get you by quite comfortably the rest of your life.

I learned how to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing. I developed my vocabulary. I learned a lot of math and science that are applicable to our farming operation every day. I took math on up to AP Calculus and while I don't ever use Calculus on the farm, the critical thinking skills learned by doing something hard were valuable.

I very much regret not taking full advantage of the foreign language program in our school. If I would have pushed myself hard in those classes, I'm sure I could have been capable of conversing with Spanish speaking people who like it or not, are more and more a part of our society.

I learned about the history of the world and the history of the United States. I learned about our form of government and about the governments of other countries. I learned a lot in shop class and woodworking class.

I don't see how anyone can have the opportunity to learn all of those things and consider it a waste. In my opinion, that concept is one of the major problems with the United States. A republic is only capable of holding together as long as the people are fairly educated. Ignorant people make ignorant decisions.

I will agree that not everyone needs to go to college to have a successful life. But by golly, if anything high school should be harder than it is and more in depth. EVERYONE needs a basic education.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)