AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If Pioneer is such a crappy corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

No soil disturbance
Posted 8/30/2015 13:53 (#4761051 - in reply to #4760678)
Subject: RE: If Pioneer is such a crappy corn

I was thinking the same thing, Snowden. We plant almost 50/50 Pioneer and Dekalb and not comparing traits exactly I would say the Pioneer is never more expensive than the Dekalb. I would say most years they are about the same price with Pioneer being a little cheaper at times. Not enough for me to really tell much of a difference though. We split plant 98% of our corn, every field is two varieties side by side throughout. Nearly all the time it will be a Dekalb number versus a Pioneer similar RM number. I don't put any faith in a test plot. Too much outside factors to contribute to the results.

I would say they both make good and bad corn. They have very different characteristics which I like as it helps spread out the risk. Sometimes the Pioneer wins and sometimes the Pioneer Loses. I continue to plant both and am happy planting both. I would say however in our dryland conditions Dekalb doesn't have anything that can keep up in the 105+ day RM versus the Pioneer. Likewise Dekalb had dominated the 100-101 day stuff in our area over the last few years Pioneer couldn't keep up. Now with P0157 that seems to be less truthful and Dekalb came out with 57-77 and that seems to be really good this year versus the longer season Pioneer so who knows. I am very very impressed however with the two boxes of Mycogen 112 RM corn that we have out for dryland corn and could beat both of them by the way it looks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)