AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Amateur Farmer Tour: Cover Crop Leg
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 8/29/2015 22:08 (#4760174 - in reply to #4760097)
Subject: RE: The Amateur Farmer Tour: Cover Crop Leg

EC Nebraska
jbgruver - 8/29/2015 21:29

What were the seeding rates for your mix and how are you planning to prepare the field for the following crop? Also, it looks like the CCs are well fed... did you add any fertilizer?

I don't really know the seeding rates. This was the first year with this planter so the settings were a guess. I got a bag of fresh radish seed and mixed left over mix from last year, probably about half and half. I'd guess I was dropping around 4-6 seeds/foot on what amounted to 18" rows. Probably a couple lbs of buckwheat and less than a lb each of sorghum and sunn hemp. There were clovers and oats in there as well, but not much of those grew.

This will all winterkill so should be easy to no-till into it. I no-tilled into that volunteer oats from last year, this stuff should be pretty easy.

Last fertilizer in this basin would have been in 2013. I didn't fertilizer this year until after the basin dried a bit, then spread dry fertilizer over the top of the corn that survived so most of the drowned out area didn't get any fertilizer. There would have been some along the edge close to the surviving corn. This spot often drowns out and so the total crop removal over the years has been much lower than normal for this region.

(0503151755.jpg)

(OatCb.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0503151755.jpg (137KB - 39 downloads)
Attachments OatCb.jpg (220KB - 47 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)