AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No till organic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WlntCrkJ
Posted 6/19/2015 06:58 (#4635066 - in reply to #4633948)
Subject: RE: No till organic

Carroll, OH
Fry,
We sell the I&J crop roller if you are interested. We looked at the RiteWay and were not impressed, especially as it is a lot more money than the I&J. There is another commercial roller out of Georgia, Harrell I think, which is only offered in a 3pt attach, but was also more expensive than the I&J when I priced them.

We do not believe there will be any allelopathy from the Rye, especially if you roll after planting. We prefer to plant green and then roll as we do not have to worry about going the wrong direction over the rolled rye. (hair pinning and lifting the row units when the residue bunches up)

The Dawn ZRX units look promising to reduce trips across the field, but are expensive.

You need to use higher rates of covers to get optimum weed control, and you will have to plan on planting in late May or June to match the maturity of Rye and whatever else planted with the Rye. Mature Rye alone before corn we think is a recipe for stressed corn. Adding Crimson Clover and Hairy Vetch will significantly reduce this along with your fertility program. There are other challenges in a multi species mix with termination using the roller crimper. Feel free to call if you are serious about getting one to try.

We are 100% no-till, so no experience with cultivator. We are attempting to get to zero applied herbicide, but difficult with our problem weeds of waterhemp and giant ragweed. We can easily control Marestail with medium rates of Rye (30 -40 lbs/A)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)