AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop insurance question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 6/18/2015 19:52 (#4634431 - in reply to #4633536)
Subject: RE: Crop insurance question?

West Union, Illinois

I've been farming for over 40 years and in that time have been for, against, advocated, loved and hated crop insurance.  As others have said, all insurance agents are not created equal.  I don't know where you are, but I would recommend mine.  Having someone who understands it and can explain it to you is critical.

It is different than it used to be.

I used to consider crop insurance a waste of money.  They way it was set up and the area I farm, that was a fair assessment back then.  Fast forward a few years.  We had a change in weather patterns and prevented planting became as important (maybe more important) than low yield.  My farm and auto insurance agent explained the new programs to me and talked me into crop insurance again.  That was the year the best dirt I am made 5 bushel corn.  Crop insurance is all that saved me.  And if he had been able to fully explain it I would not have had it.  The 5 bushel field cost me about $50/ acre in premiums.

I have since changed agents after discovering he didn't understand the crop insurance system as well as my banker did.  He's gotten me better coverage for less money and is able to explain all the differences and possibilities.

I told you all that to tell you this:  Go find a crop insurance agent who really understands it and talk to him.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)