AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anyone have pictures of no-till beans in long stalks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 6/18/2015 19:48 (#4634422 - in reply to #4634073)
Subject: RE: anyone have pictures of no-till beans in long stalks?

These I just took about an hour ago, the poor little guys have had wet feet since they been in the ground, along with cool temps until the past 2 weeks.
The top pic are Stine 32RF32 planted 04 May 15 at 211,000 pop.
The bottom pic are Pioneer 35T97 planted 07 May 15, 211,000 pop.
Both fields are wetter fields with lots of clay, so I need the strength in numbers to get them up, is my reason for high pop's, been cutting back every year since I got my Kinze.
My soybean planter is a Kinze Twinline, with hitch offset 7.5" so I can plant the 2 , 15" rows between the 30" row stalks, I run a no till coulter ( the blade is a GP Turbo till blade ), HD down pressure springs, with a Martin till spader on one side and rubber closing wheel on the other, considering adding another Martin Till ??? dont know yet, considered trash wheels, but not no more, I need that residue on top to keep from getting a hard crust if I get that hard rain.
In these pictures, the beans measure about 8" tall, and the stalks are 18"-24", and the stalks are never touched from last fall after shelling, other than spreader truck spreading potash.
My JD 750 drill flattened the stalks a lot more and I even have my gangs set so that all the guage wheels run in between the rows rather on top of a stalk row.
Both planted and drilled harvest very well, and the stalks bust up to nothing by harvest time and header floats as good from one to the other.
I have run a VT over some stalks in the past, but have better results this way. For me the VT left too much residue, even when running at a angle, I used the Krause and the GP Turbo MAX. I also thought where the VT went, at planting time, the ground was either too dry and hard, or softer and wetter, but if I leave the stalks alone, there is enough bare ground for drying and warmth, it was still nice and solid to drive on with no tracking or rutting, and enough residue to shade the ground to retain moisture to get the beans emerged. Now to add, where I have cereal rye, it works even BETTER.
The only thing I want to do different on the planter is fabricate a shield to protect the unit chain to prevent as much trash getting in the tensioner, but have gotten along past 4 years very well with minimal trouble. This year had more trouble than any, but had some very tall corn last year in other fields. Overall I like the planted beans over my drill, mainly for depth, spacing and closing performance

(0618151958.jpg)

(0618151943.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0618151958.jpg (208KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments 0618151943.jpg (180KB - 51 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)