AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Going Organic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pmartens07
Posted 6/18/2015 18:49 (#4634311 - in reply to #4633624)
Subject: RE: Going Organic

Penn Yan, NY
Almost everyone around here that transitioned a little at a time now say they wish they had done it all at once.

Of course that is looking back once they have figured it out and there is a learning curve.

12 row is not a bad idea, we used to run 12 row for 350 of corn and 350 of beans a year and it could be done in 10 cultivating days a summer if we pushed.

I don't have a lot of faith in non camera based cultivator guidance systems. RTK is nice and the repeatable accuracy has allowed us to eliminate inaccuracy on our strip edges. Sure is nice to have a 30 inch row between corn and beans, we used to have a guess row there that would weave from 20-40 and we either had a strip of weeds or took out the other crop. Our camera based system is great but spendy, if you have the cultivator you could put it together for a bit over $30K

We have started running alfalfa for 3 years and then taking 1st cut off in year 4 then plowing and planting. Planting a little later does drop us back to a 95-98 day corn rather than 103-107 but the warmer soil sure makes the corn jump once it is planted.

I would say jump in! The market is growing faster every year and there is no end in sight.

I would say that you would be crazy not to

Edited by pmartens07 6/18/2015 18:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)