AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Pic: Split Planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buck S
Posted 6/17/2015 22:31 (#4632973 - in reply to #4632897)
Subject: RE: Corn Pic: Split Planter

McLeod County, MN
widairyfarmer - 6/17/2015 21:05

Nothing gets past you guys! Why is the Pioneer darker?

I have a theory, and that's all it is. Just mine, nobody else and not looking to start a brand war or anything. Its probably just stupid and no validity to it.

I think P hybrids have really high nutrient intake demands. If you have really good fertility and really feed them they are gonna do really well for you. Real world though most guys are not supplying all the nutrients those plants want and you run into trouble like they had with p0062 up here. Early in the season they are really gobbling up the nutrients and that's why you get that nice deep green color on it. At the same time I think that is part of the reason P likes to turn purple when its young. Before the nodal roots get out and really start finding some nutrients the plants can look deficient. Once those nodal roots get down and supply ample P that look goes away and they turn a nice dark green and really start using the N. Sometimes I think they have a tendency (in general) to run out of N before the average monsanto hybrid. 2013 was the last time I had corn and I had 5 P and 5 or 6 monsanto hybrids in the plot. After all the heavy rain the first ones to show deficiency were all P.

Who knows, I am probably out in left field somewhere.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)