AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What will be the greater return on investment? Dryer or precisionAg
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Small-timer
Posted 6/17/2015 13:41 (#4631974 - in reply to #4631947)
Subject: RE: What will be the greater return on investment? Dryer or precisionAg

SW WI
HeyhayJCM - 6/17/2015 13:20

I have a question. You say you won't own a combine anytime soon. Why not? With machinery prices going down you could buy a cherry F3 gleaner or a 1440 international or a Massey 8560 for 10 grand...and even after paying for fuel... (without charging for your time) ...it would pay for itself in 2 years if you are paying 30.00 an acre custom rates. Baby the thing....look over every inch of it each year...and no you would get a very quick payback. Then after year 2 you will be saving 6,000.00 a year and be harvesting on your schedule, at optimum moisture, and when field conditions are right.
And if u take care of the machine. ..chances are you can sell it down the road for as much as u pay for it. ZERO depreciation.
Just a thought.
Josh Moorefield

Josh,
You bring up very valid points, and at first glance, you are correct. But, here is where my issue with a combine lies. At 29 years old, I can only borrow X number of dollars. So, let's say I buy a $10,000 combine. Then I buy a $2500 bean head and a $2500 corn head. Get it home and I will spend $1500 changing oil and filters, every year. Then the belts chains sprockets, rocks AC bushings augers etc will need attention every year, $1000 easily from my experiance. Paymebt over 5 years is going to be roughly $3500. Between maintenance and repairs, $2000. Cost of operation is going to be $5500. I have to run it, I have to go to town to get parts, I have to wait for the parts and fix in the sun and watch it rain. During all of that, my cost of operation will be roughly $0.25 a bushel. Hiring it done is going to average out at $0.26 a bushel. With that added penny I am getting a hired man, direct write off on my taxes, yield mapping, an $85000 combine that gets yearly inspections a bean head that will cut closer to the ground, leading to let's say 1/2 bushel more beans or $500 and a corn head with adjustable deck plates that will lead to let's say 2 bushel an acre or $600. My custom guy doesn't do custom work. He works with me on his timeliness and drives slow. I would rather pay him $35 an acre than own one or see him do more work elsewhere. In my eyes a combine is the worst investment. In 5 years that machine will see a minimum of 1000 acres if I don't gain more ground. There will be break downs. My thoughts and outlook, please debate back if you disagree. Thanks. Also. Thanks for all the other replies.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)