AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shop building question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 4/27/2015 06:13 (#4540178 - in reply to #4539677)
Subject: RE: shop building question

Thumb of Michigan
Keep in mind this was in 1999- we bought used pipe for columns, had around $350 in those I think. Bought everything else new: the 2 60' X 10" I beam for the fixed rails, the 40' 15" traveler, and all the 3" angle iron for the trusses for around 2K delivered. The carriages were new, bought used chain falls at auctions. From what I recall , total cost (I supplied the labor) was very close to 3K. Steel has obviously jumped a lot since then, no idea what it might cost now. I've seen many bridge and jib cranes sell at what I thought was a reasonable price since then as well. Our shop has an 18' ceiling, the doors run east and west, the traveling beam runs north and south. I have an 18' tall Hydrowsing door on one end. I lose about 6" of head room due to the 10" fixed beam hanging below the ceiling about that far. So, I can drive something approximately 17' tall into one door with no head room issues. Limited to less than that if I have to move the traveling beam over whatever I just drove in.

A Telehandler looks very handy, and obviously is mobile compared to the hoist in the shop. We used to use a loader inside the old shop to lift stuff, the smoke and noise used to bother me some. And, the loader used up room that the over head doesn't. The loader (and I assume the Telehandler) would be able to lift more than I think my crane can, although I've never lifted anything that caused me any concern. Neighbor has the identical crane and lifted the tongue of a 6 row Beet harvestor off the ground to test his. And, I can usually lift a lot of stuff by myself that used to be safer with two people if I was using the loader. I don't think theres probably a one size fits all deal, pro's and cons to any method or tool. We've been real happy with our crane, fact is I've been using it the last week to do some fabricating and painting. Might go a couple of weeks and never use it, either.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)