AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crate training a pup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Canucker
Posted 3/2/2015 11:54 (#4425264 - in reply to #4425237)
Subject: RE: Crate training a pup

I have a newfie, and he gets full fun of the house while we are gone during the days. Actually had more problems with the cat getting into stuff than the dog, as he's pretty docile.

We don't use the crate much, haven't pulled it out in 3 months but I used to use it more before I trusted him not to destroy the house. When I first got him I had the same problems, he would whine and whimper and not want to be in the crate, so I ended up putting him in the workshop at nights. He still doesn't like going into that workshop...

After putting a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in his crate and a ticking clock by his crate for a few nights it was a complete turn around. He didn't mind the crate after that and will still go in there and lay down when we need him to. The only time he's really cooped up at all is when he's staying at the kennel.

Didn't try putting treats and whatnot in the crate, but having it in my bedroom with the water bottle and clock worked for me. The thought behind it is the warm bottle and ticking clock are supposed to be like the warmth and heartbeat of his littermates.

Some nights he sleeps a lot better if I play ocean sounds on the iphone too. I have no idea why that is.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)