AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bean seed by the count
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hawkfan
Posted 8/11/2008 18:30 (#433099 - in reply to #432644)
Subject: Re: Bean seed by the count

NW Iowa
The main reason for selling by the seed count is so farmers like myself can get a more accurate count on how many bags they need. Before it was a guessing game by producers on what they would need for total bags, therefore we would either be short if something was say 2700 seeds per pound, and then we would have returns if something came in at 3700 seeds per pound. Also all the RR2 beans are coming treated with a new fungicide developed by Bayer, which is basically Headline on the seed. That is another reason why, because treated bean seed cannot be dumped at your local elevator. Also if some beans were say 2500 seeds per pound, a 160,000 bag would weigh 64 lbs. and 40 units would not fit into the current mini bulk bags, and I don't know too many guys who like to lug around 64# bags, especially in beans. I just don't get why everyone always blasts Monsanto, the fertilizer guy should be the one everyone is peod at. (double in price), what about the fuel supplier, and not to mention what everyones rent will be. What seed you put in the ground will have the biggest return on investment. You may put $300 worth of fertilizer out there, but if you plant Walmart corn, you will get Walmart yields. Monsanto has been good to me and my customers, and gone above and beyond what they have needed to do if any problems should arise.
Example per acre: Corn
Rent $225 36.3%
Fertilizer $175 28.2%
Chemicals $20 3.3%
Fuel, Ins. & Machinery $100 16.1%
Seed $100 16.1%
Total $620

Edited by hawkfan 8/11/2008 18:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version