AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rebuilt alternator running hot question...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 7/31/2008 20:02 (#425894 - in reply to #425301)
Subject: Re: Rebuilt alternator running hot question...

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
That old Delco 10-12 SI alternator is about the most service friendly unit ever built. I stock my own parts from off shore jobbers and do my own rebuild work. Has to be real seriously burned down to require $25 worth of parts, and that's replacing everything that is less than 90% perfect.
Barring something stupid like clogging up the cooling air holes and burning it down, I usually get 5 years + out of my rebuilts.

Having 3 alternators go down in 200 hrs kind of pops up a red flag, check your batteries for a shorted cell that keeps the alternator on high charge all the time.
Very low batteries combined with a heavy AC or lighting load will overheat an alternator, especially if run at less than full rpm.
One thing I dislike about the "automotive" Delco regulators is that they are set for 14.8 volts, this is for a quick recharge in cold weather in a car or pickup, but this overloads the alternator a bit more and cooks the batteries during long days in the field.
I see one of my online alternator parts suppliers now offers a Delco 10-12SI regulator set at 14.2 volts, ideal for long days on an ag or industrial machine.

Edited by Jon Hagen 7/31/2008 20:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)