AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

healthy breakfast??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 12/11/2014 11:47 (#4233573 - in reply to #4224869)
Subject: RE: healthy breakfast??

Rolled oats (oat flakes) do not require any cooking, they are great raw with milk. Add a sliced half banana, diced apple, currants or dried cranberries for a sweet touch. If you prefer steel cut oats, you can let them soak in water overnight, add some milk in the morning (or not), they take no time to cook.

Get a couple of heritage laying hens so you can get a nice soft-boiled egg (3.5 min boiling time) most of every morning. Alternate with other foods, like fat free yogurt or cottage cheese, and add just a little honey or jam for flavor.

If you drink a lot of milk, reduce that to one glass in the morning. You don't drink coffee, but there are other instant drinks available, or even the plain teabag. I usually have instant chicory (starts at $6 if you google "leroux instant chicory") for a hot drink but also alternate with tea, coffee, or other coffe-like products such as Caro, which has roasted barley, rye and chicory. Fruit juice is just liquid flavored sugar, better stick to the wholesome fruit.

You said "quick", so cooked breakfasts are out, but you can still reheat something light prepared the previous evening, like a cup of creamy butternut squash soup. Soup is great for breakfast this time of the year...

Diet or not, if you do physical work, carbs like rice, or bread will keep your energy throughout the morning without the temptation of a snack. I get my whole grain bread from a farmer-baker, really the best way to experience bread. A healthy breakfast on its own will not make you lose weight, but it's a start!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)