AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The old and the newer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 11/22/2014 17:08 (#4194549 - in reply to #4194406)
Subject: RE: The old and the newer

Kingston,Mi
The 90 that I drove in 1967 was a 1952 model with a variable speed pedal on the floor rather than a clutch, Lloyd serviced the fleet, even repainted the interior each year. He had a round back JD 95 for a while and hated it, used as a bean machine, caught it on fire 5 times in 6 miles of road travel from Clifford Mi. to Kingston Mi., dry bean dust sifting down on the exhaust manifold of that 292 gas engine. He eventually had a 300, but when he died and the daughter closed out his estate, there was 4 or 5 90's and 92's in the shed behind the house. It had developed a dangerous departure from true vertical. Several neighbors managed to rescue 3 of the combines, I have posted pictures of 1 that runs and is being slowly rebuilt. The collectors hope to have all 3 running and threshing someday. Our custom harvest area was the middle of the thumb with a radius of 30 miles around Kingston. The custom harvest era was nearly over when I drove, lasted several more years so a younger brother drove at least 1 year (1970). Neighbor across the road had purchased a square back JD 55 EB special and combined his and his brothers crops. They had been using a Massey Clipper before that. Lots of other neighbors were running 101 IHC's or JD 55's and 95's (Gleaners were scare and still are). Most of the custom work was 10 to 15 acres of wheat then possibly a few acres of oats later.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)