AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Allison automatic trannies -- lifespan, costs, etc?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 8/31/2006 18:05 (#40280 - in reply to #40270)
Subject: RE: Allison automatic trannies -- lifespan, costs, etc?

Wyoming
I don't know much about the engine. It is no longer the Perkins I-6 354 that was used in the 1075. The NH web site claims the 1095 has a "New Holland 7.5 liter turbocharged inline 6" engine. I see that NH uses the same engine in some of their tractors -- the TM series in particular. When I looked at the engine, it didn't appear too stupid in configuration, but then again, hey, this is New Holland and if there is brain damage by their engineers, I'm sure I'll find it in a quick and expensive manner. Just wait for the new ranting to start. ;-)

But they're still suffering from mechanical brain damage. There still aren't any shocks on the suspension, and the frame is prone to cracking, just in different places. In the 1095, all of the three units I looked at had various states of cracking in the frame holding the cab off the ground. One wagon I looked at had no fewer than welds in nine different locations on the frame members that support the cab. A neighbor here with an early 1095 got dumped on the ground while picking up bales when his cab just dropped onto the ground. How's that for a quality design?

But if the tranny holds up, that's good enough for me. Last thing I need to mess with is an automatic tranny. I need to replace the syncro's and seals in the 1075 manual tranny as it is, and while I'm in there, I'll likely replace the clutch and pressure plate. And it needs a new seal in the rear end. Small costs here and there, but it requires the machine to be out of service, and therefore the work gets delayed until winter...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)