AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Young Farmer wanting to rent ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

case30
Posted 7/24/2014 19:31 (#3984122 - in reply to #3983921)
Subject: RE: Young Farmer wanting to rent ground

South Dakota
I am "inexperienced"

Someday, when I am 50 - 60 years plus, perhaps I will resonate with this poster. maybe I will I Lament at all the young inexperienced guys in my industry.

However I am not that guy, I am under 30 and full of passion, drive, and "inexperience" and as much as I would love to full time farm I have an off farm job. farming today simply takes more capital than I have, So I have an enormous amount of respect for my peers---the individual in the ad you referred to----who are trying to get a foot in the door with landlords.

Oh, and though i try to stay positive, I can't help but notice a large reason young individuals like myself are unable to enter farming is because for 15+ years large operations have become larger and more consolidated in large part due to government subsidies that Eliminate competition from new individuals (mostly young) and protect established farmers, who happen to be older and more "experienced" also, many of these more "established" farmers happen to be multi millionaires because of inflated land values derived from a government bought and lobbied to require "blender" requirements on ethanol. Established farmers became rich because of these artificially high commodity prices and ethanol stock that would be worth pennies if not for political lobbying and jockying.

Two sided to every story, if young guys like this don't try to get into farming every farm will be 20,000 acres in 10 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)