AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Explanations and a long post
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 5/14/2014 07:19 (#3869357 - in reply to #3868742)
Subject: RE: Explanations and a long post

North Central Illinois
So sorry for your loss young fella. Terrible thing. I hope things get easier for you over time. Talk to a therapist if it helps. Absolutely no shame in that. Good luck to you.

As for the red versus green war don't worry about it. You just stepped right into a decades old feud that will never be settled. We had red tractors on our farm forever until the 80's when we began a gradual changeover to green. We had a 1086 along with a 1486 and a 1586. We also had a 186 Hydro. None of them were bad tractors just outdated technology. They had a really good engine with good forward visibility and they were pretty nimble too. Beyond that there wasn't a lot to be excited about. They stuck with the old 4 speed trans with the TA for just a series or two too long. Deere, Case, and perhaps Allis Chalmers had already had powershift transmissions on the market for quite a while by the time the 86 series came out. Not that those transmissions were trouble free either but it was at least newer technology and a sense of moving forward. I think that is part of what bothered people about the 86 series. They just felt like IH hadn't changed anything for decades and was kind of phoning it in. We had 40 and 50 series Deeres at the same time as the 86's and following. I wasn't a big fan of the Quad Range or 8 speed Powershift but either one of them was preferable to the old slam and jam IH trans. The IH trans shifted okay if you kept on top of clutch, trans brake, and dump valve adjustments. That got tiresome though. The Deere cabs were very comfortable but visibility was not near as good. IH had the right idea with just the skinny exhaust pipe on top of the hood and no fat muffler or breather to look around. The Deere cabs were laid out much nicer as far as controls too. You didn't have to climb over levers getting in an out of the cab with the pain in the butt doors. The 86 series tractor that I truly enjoyed was the 186 Hydro. That thing was about the handiest most versatile tractor we ever had. It didn't get used for tillage but it got used for most anything else. The 86's weren't bad tractors they were just a little behind the times. Or maybe a lot.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)