AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What pump to put on my 3pt sprayer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 5/13/2014 19:53 (#3868624 - in reply to #3868540)
Subject: RE: What pump to put on my 3pt sprayer

Faunsdale, AL
Just going through this on one I bought. It came with a roller pump. Quite a large one, a 6 roller model. It was one zone, so when you set the pressure with the boom on, it was OK that when you turned the boom off, the pressure jumped way up. First thing the pump disintegrated, so I picked up a smaller model from the local store because it was what was in stock and the lower output does help some on the pressure rise when the valve shuts off. This is just a characteristic of a positive displacement pump,

Well, since it is a 45' boom, I wanted 3 sections and then when the solenoid valves closed off, the pressure jumped up as each valve closed (rate/acre is going up dramatically). Maybe what I needed was a larger relief valve on the system or perhaps valves like yours that divert flow back to the tank when they close off, so pump flow stays the same whether one boom section is on or all of them. I think you need to adjust the flow back to the tank to match the flow through the boom section so the pump output/pressure doesn't change.

Anyway I got a PTO centrifugal ACE pump and my pressure does not go up nearly as much when each valve closes. However when you throttle back, pressure drops precipitously! So, spraying by pressure vs speed you have to keep speed and rpm pretty constant.

There's good things about hydraulic drive centrifugal pumps, the relatively constant output across varying engine rpm settings is one of them. I just don't have another hydraulic outlet free to run the pump.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)