AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Prevented Planting Thought
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 5/13/2014 10:47 (#3867871 - in reply to #3867615)
Subject: RE: Prevented Planting Thought

southern MN
I don't know that I can come up with a better plan, but I'm not a big fan of the whole PP deal in the first place.

There is a lot of room for questionable claims.

It gives a floor to operations that are perhaps a little on the too big and not well managed side.

Biggest deal is it cuts into grain supplies at the times we need any type of production at all, which is not in the nations best interest. Back in the day we kept trying, kept planting something, tried beans instead of corn, tried buckwheat instead of beans, planted 1/3 of the field when that was all that could be planted, put in oats to make hay to get enough value off the land to pay the taxes....

Now, eh, look at the calendar and oh time to quit, let the land sit idle. This lowers ag production, raises food costs, and puts spikes and dips in grain supplies. None of which is all that great for the nation.

It seems the old version of you're a farmer go grow something, if in November you got nothing we will come in with a safety net maybe was a better national policy. We are sacrificing production for a safety net - good for agriculture short term but maybe not for export market security and the nation as a whole.

A big topic, with my simple views, there is a lot more to it than this I know.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)