AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bever problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 5/3/2014 08:29 (#3851303 - in reply to #3851175)
Subject: RE: Bever problems

Faunsdale, AL
I would use an aircompressor. If you can install a plug or a valve on the lower end of the pipe and then weld in a coupling for the air hose, you should be able to blow the clog back out or at least get it started leaking. Once the pipe is full of water, blow it again and the water will dislodge the clog a lot more forcefully than the air alone.

I mean something like a 185 CFM air compressor,

If you can reach it, you can also plumb the hose onto the end of a piece of steel pipe and use it as a "lance" to poke into the clog from the upper end. The air will dislodge mud etc a lot better than just poking.

I have a pond I use for irrigation and the beavers have moved in. They will mound up mud and sticks etc about 8' tall around the stand pipe until they get to the bottom of the trash screen and plug that space all the way around. So far they have never plugged the top of the screen, but it will get trash on it and the water must go out the emergency spillway until the flow into the pond slows down.

When I want to irrigate, I open the drain valve at the bottom of the stand pipe and take a rebar to poke around down there and so far I have been able to get it opened up and let it blow out all the sticks and mud. Problem is, they can turn your water off if they want. Usually happens about dusk or just after dark. Pump is connected to end of drain pipe, so no problem priming!

When I get the pond empty, I can take a backhoe and clean the mud away, but they can easily put it back when they want to once the pond refills. It helps to keep the population down. Fastest way is to dig out any dens you can get to with the backhoe, but you can usually do some good with a shotgun and a flashlight if you have water running and go out just at dusk.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)