AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any brighter headlights for a 1486
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rocker
Posted 5/1/2014 12:00 (#3848140 - in reply to #3847607)
Subject: RE: Any brighter headlights for a 1486

NE Alberta
Re: the LED versus HID debate
Even though HID probably still give the most light per dollar, I much prefer LED. Although I have not tested any 55w HID, the best of the LEDs WILL surpass the light given by any of the 35w HID I have tested, but as durallymax has stated, LEDs are not all created equal. It is critical with LEDs to get the proper lens, and what makes it more difficult is that some "styles" of lens design (for example several different styles all advertised as "flood") will behave quite differently. Also, some styles seem to use up more of the light just getting through the lens. Although Cree leds are generally thought of as better than Epistar I have used some Epistar lights that were very good VALUE. The 45w ones in the example below can be found on Ebay for about $45- $60ea and are very versatile because the mounting bracket can be totally removed and the light can be "flush mounted" using screw holes at the rear. Note that these are "flood" lights and will not shine long distances.

My favourite leds are probably still the Speaker 7150 (and they will release an updated version soon I have been told) but unfortunately Speaker has NOT dropped the price on these hardly at all, and they have become a very poor value, simply because while they are probably better quality than the china made units and are probably worth twice what the china ones cost, they are NOT four to ten times better, so I have switched to the china units.

As durallymax has stated, if you want leds to shine far out, there ARE ones that will do that, but you will have to pay particular attention to how they are made.

Edited by rocker 5/1/2014 16:38

(45Watt .JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 45Watt .JPG (54KB - 404 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)