AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

West end of the Oklahoma panhandle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Trekker
Posted 4/29/2014 20:55 (#3844760 - in reply to #3843936)
Subject: RE: It's hard to understand

East of Dodge City, KS
Very well said. When I moved to the Johnson/Ulysses area in '87 (from Wisconsin) I just couldn't understand why the farmers got into their tractors and started to work ground when the wind blew, and how they planted crops AFTER it rained. My experience in Wis was that you work the ground to try to dry it out so you could plant and you tried to beat the rain and get the seed planted BEFORE it rained because you had no assurance you would get another chance to get onto that field for a while. Now, having lived in the area for 27 years, I understand fully the difference from two totally different areas of the country and the challenges each one faces. We seldom worry about too much rain around here because it will always get dry and you never know when your latest rain might be the last one for a while.

I've recorded a total of almost 0.75" of moisture so far this year. That is another difference from the MN/IA/WI/IL area. Up there, rainfall is measured in inches or half inches. I was so impressed with how "accurate" all the farmers measure rainfall in western KS, OK, TX. Out here we measure in "hundreths" of an inch. "My goodness" I thought. Rain is so scarce, so important that they keep track by the "hundreths" of an inch. Now I get that too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)