AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

20 inches vs 30 inches
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Since1889
Posted 4/27/2014 09:40 (#3838683 - in reply to #3837619)
Subject: RE: 20 inches vs 30 inches

S Mn
We have been on 20 inch rows for about 9 years there are quite a few in this area. I feel we have seen an increase in corn yield but admittedly it is difficult to prove because few people plant 30 and 20 right next to each other on the same day in the same field with the same planters to actually know.
We deffinately have seen an increase in soybean yield. For us it wa actually a savings going to 20 because we farm som ground that is what we call challenging. We used to have a 30 inch planter and a 30 foot drill so by going to 20 we were able to get rid of two planters for one.
The guys that say u have to spray cross ways just baffle me with the way they say that's how u do less crop damage. I've never been able to figure out how running crop over the whole time is better than maybe getting off the row once in a while. Only time I run anything over is in tight curves and turning on the headland. Sprayed 1100 acres of soybeans for aphids in a single day in waist high beans and if I didn't have to turn on headlands you would never know I was in there. Here everybody sprays following the planter tracks a track tractor or a self propelled has no trouble not running crop down. Just set your equipment up right. The 20 inch rows get sprayed a week ahead of the 30 inch rows in corn because they canopy so much faster I've always thought this is a huge bennifit for weed control and crop safety. On our challenging ground 30 inch beans would be a disaster on the years it won't rain after the Fourth of July would be Zero canopy.
Talking to the majority of seed people narrower rows for corn will play a big role in increasing yield when populations can make the next jump.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)