AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Couple of Corn Facts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 4/17/2008 06:09 (#359711)
Subject: Couple of Corn Facts

Since 1993/94 crop year, the industrial use of corn, not including ethanol, but for HFCS, starch & etc. has grown 25%; Exports this year are 32% above 14 yr. average; Feed use is 11% above 14 yr ave. AND, while ethanol is in the news and a lot of excitement about it, we have produced ethanol for years, in a small way, in 1993/94 459 m. bushels were used to produce fuel-ethanol.

This year, as we all are familiar, China has been the feature in addition to the Australian wheat crop failure of last year...We are simply witnessing an international growth in the demand for food.

My point, in debating the subject, IT IS NOT ALL ETHANOL...DEMAND IS SIMPLY OUTSTRIPPING OUR CURRENT ABILITY TO SUPPLY....THIS WILL CHANGE (MAYBE) ON AN INTERNATIONAL SCALE WHEN WHEAT INVENTORIES ARE RE-BUILT, but I tire of the beating which ethanol is receiving. I don't deny it is consuming a lot of corn, but so what? From what other source could we have produced additional fuel supplies within a short time frame.

Maybe I am missing something; I was of the impression from 9/11 forward, there are a group of people out there who wish us harm, some would like to exterminate all of us...we are really in a war & to rely upon some of those same people to supply us with energy makes no sense. In my view, if they are going to criticize...what would they do, for a short run partial solution?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)