AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

from below , BAD press
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

beh
Posted 4/16/2008 19:50 (#359412 - in reply to #359260)
Subject: Re: from below , BAD press

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
I am just gonna lay it all out on the line here--if me no-tilling, getting rid of trees and weeds in cedars case, pushing ditches in and creating diversions to curb erosion makes me a bad person--I sure aint gonna lose any sleep tonight over the deal.

In fact I am going to do what ever I darned well please within the limits of law on my ground to maximize my acres and production--yea--if I can gain a half acre relatively easily I am gonna do it...If you have got a problem with it come offer me a price I cannot refuse and I will start spending my winters someplace a lot warmer. I have to find a way to get that competitive advantage--farming is a lifestyle--but it is more so a business.

No tilling in my country keeps the dirt from blowing--I am sure blowing dirt is good for the environment too.

Subsidies and mandates--I actually do lean in your direction on that one--free market and all, big fan actually and I have voiced those thoughts here. But I sure aint for mandating a shot in the foot--ie letting the naive public run my farm for me cause they like trees so they can bitch more about food prices.

I do not know if the common sense deal was food vs fuel argument but while I am here i am going to address that too: Truth be told if you make the food vs fuel argument you should be all for planting every square inch and maximizing yield. And yea corn is no longer just a food ingredient--how come when the farmer finds a value added product and a way to be compensated for the risk he takes that somehow that is outweighed by the guy in town that can no longer afford to order out for his family every night. I really feel for him--boohoo. Only 2 nights a week of Chinese, maybe mom should learn how to cook

Just 1 year ago that everyone was pissed at the American farmer for over producing because world commodity prices were too low and we were keeping the farmers of third world countries down? Tell me how do we win? How do we make everyone happy? Corn goes back to 2 bucks and I know what the argument will be. Lots of farm sales too.

Sorry for the rant and ramble...in all seriousness I never got to read the article...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)