AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wife wants a deck. sticker shock.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Tommy
Posted 1/10/2014 11:44 (#3592390 - in reply to #3591941)
Subject: RE: wife wants a deck. sticker shock.

Iowa
You could do a paver patio with beautiful stone steps down to it for a lot less if you did it yourself or about that if you did the base installation and hired the pavers installed. (although there is no guarantee if the installers don't do the base work). Edit: but if you lay the base down in 2" lifts and pack, pack, pack, and pack again it'll be just fine.

I'd post pics of some we've done, except if they don't show I'll get flamed--I'm not very computer-savvy. They are unbelievably gorgeous, and as decks cost more and more, we do more and more paver patios. LED lights under the stair treads, etc- really an upscale look! Lots of different colors,shapes, sizes, patterns, and textures now, we always do a different color for the edges, and can do an in-laid design-breath-taking!

You could do a concrete patio for a lot less but you'll most likely have ugly wooden steps down to it and it won't look as upscale as pavers, even if it's colored and stamped (but it will look pretty good). And it will look better than gray concrete.

Decks are outdated unless the topography doesn't allow a ground-level patio. Always go with the best maintenance-free material you can when building a deck; staining and painting or even leaving it natural but water-sealing gets old, and soon the deck LOOKS old if you build it with wood.

Edited by Tommy 1/10/2014 12:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)