AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tiling Questions?????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 7/8/2013 23:46 (#3198458 - in reply to #3198419)
Subject: Re: Tiling Questions?????

southern MN
I should say I don't design anything, I just watch the tile guys as they decide what might work best.....

I have one bad valley that seeped most of the year, they went up the middle, and put a line 80 feet either side of it. That worked well. But if it weren't quite such a valley, there s a danger the water would flow down the hill in between the tile lines, making wet spots slow to drain.

Typically, it seems better to cut across the hill, not up and down it. However, you get the stair-step effect, the tile will cut off water coming down the hill, but water will be passing under the tile and bleeding out below it. If it is a steeper hill, you might need lines pretty close to keep up with that stair step effect.

So your idea is often better, but you need to space for the steepness of the hill.

On a shallower, bigger 10 acre slope I had, they struggled with the two ideas, neither fit that one well. They came up with a third idea, diagonal pattern.the tile starts in the lower left, and runs up to the upper right. This allowed a nice slope for the tile, and doesn't create a stair step pattern if you cut across the slope. Nor do you run the danger of water coming down the hill between lines when you go straight up the hill. They were kinda proud of that, the diagonal deal. It was not fun spraying it or combining beans off it the first year, but works well now for drainage.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)