AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Liquid or dry additive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CaptainAwesome
Posted 4/13/2013 23:19 (#3034024 - in reply to #3032571)
Subject: Re: Liquid or dry additive

Rio, WI
I'm a liquid AMS skeptic, but as a scientist, I'm going to check a few liquids and the real AMS in replicated plots this year to test it and find out.

From what's out there (and if it were me), exceptionally hard water from a well or high water pH would get the full 17# of AMS/100gal and maybe some Li-700 (or something else to drop pH) if I were out to spray glyphosate, 2,4-D or anything else that works as an acid. You get a few pounds of sulfur for the plants, too. In 2012 west-central Indiana, the only fields I saw withOUT a sulfur deficiency were those that were heavily manured.

What AMS does is get some of the calcium and iron out of solution of the spray water. Glyphosate is a great detergent of sorts (as phosphonic or amino acid detergents are), and will create bonds with the metals in the hard water. Aluminum, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, pretty much anything on the left two columns of the Periodic Table and anything else on there with a positive ionic charge.

AMS is sort of like instant water softener, and glyphosate is allowed to be in there, small enough to get through the plant tissue, and do what it's supposed to do.

That all said, if the additive doesn't "soften" the water, I'm skeptical.

Edited by CaptainAwesome 4/13/2013 23:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)