AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic guys- Field separation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 2/28/2013 11:50 (#2932412 - in reply to #2932137)
Subject: Re: Organic guys- Field separation?

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

In over ten years of this "stuff".......I have never had an organic buyer get jumpy or nervous about contamination...........maybe it's just the ones who have purchased, but none have even addressed the issue.  And, I guess I just do not have purity of heart to worry about producing "100% pure organic"------ if the market wants what we have, so be it.......if not, Cargill will take it.

I have not had much trouble from the neighbors..........since I had a "run-in" with a fellow who I caught spraying into the air over our fields from his neighboring field......on a windy day.

Another neighbor saw him, and called me.

Frankly, I was torn between stopping him, and letting him provide a little weed control......
.....but in the end, I merely took pictures of his activities,
and asked him what the name of his attorney was, so mine could contact him. 

That seemed to put an end to the problem.........but I doubt that this day he would cross the fence to pull me from a burning tractor...............

We still lose a few plants in the outside rows, probably from herbicide drift from the looks of them............but that's why we have buffer strips.........I'm sure not going to cause a problem with a neighbor over requiring him to out-think Mother Nature..........regardless of the way the court decisions are falling.

........so be it-------- this is still America, and everyone has a right to their opinions.

I have heard the story before about the female producer.........and have yet to figure out what she was doing trying to produce "pure seed" in the middle of Iowa.......with chemical neighbors surrounding her............ her expectations were not reasonable.

I have yet to see any organic seed where 100% purity is guaranteed.

This......just like conventional farming.......... is not a game of principles.  A game of integrity---- yes-------------- principles, no.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)