AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic guys- Field separation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 2/28/2013 09:15 (#2932137 - in reply to #2932080)
Subject: Re: Organic guys- Field separation?

I gave up on going organic because I didn't think I could honestly call a corn crop organic with pollen from the neighboring fields.

An organic and open pollinated seed producer in east central Iowa was making loud noises a few years ago because though she had maintained long distances between her fields and RR corn fields, there was enough pollen drift her seeds would no long pass the tests as GMO free. The family had produced their corn varieties for nearly a century, she may have been put out of the organic seed business.

Albert Lea Seedhouse catalog won't guarantee absolutely pure organic seed corn.

I think beans would be less of a problem since they are mostly self pollinating.

Neither corn, nor beans if organic tolerate a whiff of glyphosate so sprayer drift can be a severe limitation to crop production if the neighbors aren't extremely careful about wind speed and direction when they spray. Some would prefer to have a bit drift over the fence rows because they perceive the organic fields as sources of fresh weed seed for the birds and rains to transport to their soil.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)