AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

N Rates, DAP, and the ISU return to Nitrogen calculator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 2/28/2013 09:06 (#2932109 - in reply to #2932026)
Subject: Re: N Rates, DAP, and the ISU return to Nitrogen calculator

If you search the seed catalogs for a number that doesn't demand lots of nitrogen that amount might work. In 2007 I put down 111 pounds of N and raised a 173.2 bushel (dry) crop. 11 pounds was from 100 pounds of MAP applied in the spring. I applied 32% with the planter and sidedressed. A late season stalk test showed low, so that corn probably would have responded to more nitrogen. The organic matter in the soil test was high over 8%. That was notill.

A corn number that the catalog says, "Responds to nitrogen" will not produce when shorted on nitrogen. I read that to mean it demands nitrogen.

I planted three numbers, one chosen for its tolerance with low nutrition, a Crows number no longer admitted to exist, an Ottlie number for half an acre left over from a couple years before, a seed company that no longer exists, and a Dynagro number I scrounged from a neighbor who didn't want to repeat planting it. The Crows and Ottlie got along with the nutrition and the high population suggested by the Crows DSM. The Dynagro number tipped back half of each ear, it found the population too high for the nutrition available.

Point is, no every corn number needs the same amount of N, some need more, some produce well on less and any suggestion their N requirements are the same is false. I know there are some MS theses at ISU that report tests on N requirements that don't mention the corn numbers for the experiments whether plots or whole farms and those are simply a waste of time for the student and a waste of my time hunting them down and reading them.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)