AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop recommendation after soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NoTill1825
Posted 2/27/2013 21:16 (#2931245 - in reply to #2930182)
Subject: RE: Cover crop recommendation after soybeans

NC Indiana
Could go with something as simple as a cereal rye, wheat, or oat depending on how your growing season is from that point on, and whether you want the crop to winter kill at hard frost or be there for possible spring grazing/haying. If corn is the next grain crop, you could add a legume to that mix. If you can get 60 day before a killing frost and get it in the soil then a mix of radish, turnip, and winter pea should work. I've seen kale used for fall grazing as well. If you can get something seeded over a standing crop then you open up more options, but you lose pea as it needs good soil contact. This is all cover that I've seen work here, so take it for what it's worth. I like mixes myself, so I would put turnip, radish, wheat or cereal rye, and either winter pea or crimson clover in a drill and plant it shooting for say 1-2# radish, 1-2# turnip, bushel of cereal grain, and 8-10# of pea or 4-5# crimson/ac. Start simple and work up from there. The only wrong answer if you have cattle is not trying to get 2 crops/yr off your cropland, MO.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)