AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lost out on new farm rental
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Farmwithjunk
Posted 2/27/2013 10:47 (#2929877 - in reply to #2928487)
Subject: RE: Lost out on new farm rental

Bullitt County Kentucky
I've been farming for near 45 years. Less than 200 acres of what I work is mine. The rest is rental. (approx 875 total) A little of that I've been working for quite a few years. Close to 300 acres have been in my control for 5 years or less. That's fairly normal around here. (Much residential/commercial development, high turnover) With that to deal with, I go after quite a bit of prospective new ground. I actually get MAYBE 10% or 15% (on average from year to year) of what seems like probable. Point being, get used to NOT getting every property you go after. 20 years ago, I wanted every acre I could get my hands on. As I get older, I'm getting more particular about what I want. Keep in mind, these days, it's a VERY competitive market for rental ground. Unless you're a big spender, deep pockets, wheeler/dealer kinda guy, you just won't get everything you want.

In the last year, I lost what I considered the best piece of rental ground I had to a bigger, more "cash abundant" farmer. I lost out on a really nice piece of ground that was just coming on to the rental market because of a "friend of a friend" deal. And I got a piece of ground that more than equaled the total acreage of BOTH, and is closer to home, just by being in the right place at the right time. It all works out in the end. I used to take it hard when I lost out on ground I wanted. Not so much these days. As my dad used to say, "Some times you win, some times you lose, and some times the game gets rained out".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)