AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Voles in no-til
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 1/4/2013 08:05 (#2797688 - in reply to #2797059)
Subject: RE: Voles in no-til

snorf - 1/3/2013 18:18 I have a growing problem with voles in no-till soybeans, any suggestions, thanks

Do you have any pictures or can you describe the severity or concentration of the problem?

The 2 largest issues holding no-till back "here", are slugs and mice/voles. But I have learned over the years, that peoples views on the severity of an issue are quie different. This is why we see no-tillers that dont have the issue telling us to put up hawk posts. Though that is always a good idea, it barely makes laughable status as far as effectiveness. We are generally looking at thousands of mice/voles per acre. Enough to devistate the crop if gone untreated.

We have but 2 options. A tillage rotation, or bait. I'm sure you are familiar with the tillage idea, but may wish to research the bait idea. If the severity of the issue is large enough that you choose bait, be extra careful to observe the laws regarding application, and abovve all, the safety and handling label if you have not used the bait before. Most of the effective and labelled baits "here", contain zinc phosphide. You must understand the dangers of using and handling this bait.

IMO.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)