AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm getting frustrated with this Green Star system!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/24/2012 05:19 (#2248106 - in reply to #2246959)
Subject: Re: Ted

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.

KevinM - 2/23/2012 15:23

Do you have any idea about what radar input his Early Riser monitor will require?

I'm fairly certain that the Early Riser Planter monitor can use the speed output from the Mushroom device.  The Early Riser will most likely utilize the 4 pole Amp connector.  This would be the most common connector on the Mushroom device. 

The Early Riser's that I have seen "watch" pin 4 on the connector.  If Pin 4 is "hot" then the Early Riser realizes that a radar gun (or substitute) is present and changes its behavior to work on radar. Other wise the Early Riser expects that it is connected to a wheel sensor on the planter and changes its behavior to work with that "slower" signal. 

Most of the GPS radar devices purposely wire Pin 4 hot in case they are used in such a situation.  If there is no pin in pin 4 then the receiving device (Planter monitor, Raven controller etc.) may or may not work properly. 

For example, a Raven controller is changed from ground speed to radar by a setting in the display.  Some planter monitors require a radar type signal, others such as the Early Riser "watch" pin 4.  If Pin 4 is missing in the receving device then it is not using this scheme and it is immaterial whether pin 4 is present in the radar device.

So if a cable is available to get radar type speed out of the itc then it should work with the Early Riser but I'm quite certain that pin 4 would need to be present.  Pin 4 may be missing in the cable from Deere since their devices generally do not use that scheme. 

The cable from Deere may only have Pins 1 & 2 populated.  If so then a loop can be made and added to the connector on the Deere side.  This loop will tie pin 3 (Power from the Early Riser IN) to pin 4 (Sense pin back to the Early Riser).  The Early Riser will then "see" 12V on Pin 4 which will cause it to work properly with radar.

The old Calc cannot handle the radar output speed since it was designed to work with a wheel sensor.  That means a "divide by circuit" probably needs to be installed between the real radar device or subsitute and the Calc.  These "divide by circuits" act like a gear down transmission and may output 1 pulse for every 32 coming in or 1 pulse for every 100 coming in. This has the effect of "slowing down" the signal to a speed that older devices such as the old Calc can handle.

Altough this can be done it may not be worthwhile.

Edited by tedbear 2/24/2012 05:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)