AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Retaining Heifers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Notofthisworld
Posted 9/27/2024 00:02 (#10905984 - in reply to #10905939)
Subject: RE: Retaining Heifers

everyone does it different. With a day job a guy can’t babysit sale barn cows that may have been someone else’s problem children. And not everyone is capable of buying sale barn cows and succeeding. That would be me.

I’m gonna forgo a big payday today for paydays long term with cows I don’t have to worry about. For me there’s nothing more valuable than knowing a set of heifers will all calve no problem and being able to leave town on vacation knowing they are gonna put themselves up if something happens to the fence.

A guy can grow today and pay bill, but 4 years ago it was taking all my steers to make land payments and a bunch of the heifers to pay expenses. Right now the steers are paying all the bills and it’s easy to win. But it won’t be that way forever. Hopefully when market goes down there will be some grass to cash rent and I can get some country that doesn’t cost so much per acre vs buying dirt. Finding them a home is the hardest part for me of keeping heifers. I’m relying heavily on baling hay on 50/50 spit these days.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)